First Quarter 2019
Road Bike Sales Down 21.9%
Sales of electric bikes, however, were up 24.7 percent in units and 50.1 percent in dollars in the two-month period.
• BMX bike sales were down 40 percent in units in the period. Lifestyle/leisure bikes were down 4.7 percent.
• Mountain bikes were down 14.4 percent while
• road bikes were down 21.9 percent.
• Transit/fitness bikes: down 33.6 percent.
• Sales of youth bikes, the final nonelectric category, were down 13.5 percent.
• In dollar sales, all those categories were in negative territory compared to last year.
Mountain bike sales are growing at the expense of road bikes. In 2017, mountain bike sales were $577.5 million, up 3 percent over the prior year, while the $412.8 million road bike category declined by 12 percent.
2017 Road Bike Sales Down 12%
BMX bike sales grew by 27 percent in 2017, making a comeback since 2015, when the category was down.
The fastest-growing bicycle type in the market right now is electric. E-bike sales totaled $77.1 million in 2017, up 91 percent over the previous year. Sales of electric bikes have grown more than eightfold since 2014.
Click on any headline to see article
opens in new page
may load slowly
El Tour de Tucson Is Struggling